November 8, 2004

Smart computers, funny books.

Today, on Amazon, I ordered James Lileks' book "Interior Desecrations: Hideous Homes from the Horrible '70s." The mysterious inner workings of Amazon then spewed forth the suggestion that I buy P.J. O'Rourke's "Peace Kills," and the fact is I had just bought the CD version of "Peace Kills" at Borders a mere a two hours earlier. Kind of scary!

Anyway, I'm eager to read "Interior Desecrations," because I've never laughed so much at a book as at the previous Lileks book "The Gallery of Regrettable Food." Lileks has a way of looking at a photograph that you yourself can already see is pretty funny but then using just the right words to describe telling details in the photograph to make them much, much funnier than they already were. I mean, read his caption here ... the part about cats.

UPDATE: Hey, Lileks noticed that I bought his book. That's pretty cool.

No comments: