November 19, 2013

"If you are a Republican and you like New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, then you probably already have your candidate for the 2016 presidential campaign."

"If you do not like Christie, then your candidate for 2016 is Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker," says John Dickerson at Slate, who I doubt is keen on helping Republicans, but check out his argument. Excerpt:

Walker has near hero status in the grassroots for taking on Wisconsin’s public sector unions. Cruz talks about taking stands on principle, but he lost his fight. Walker took a stand, was targeted by the full force of the Democratic machine, and stayed alive. He won a recall election with a larger margin than his original victory. He raised $30 million for that race, so he knows how to tap wealthy donors. Social conservatives also consider him one of their own for his pro-life views and his pedigree: His father was a Baptist minister.
Speaking of the forceful machinery of Walker opposition, the Wall Street Journal had this the other day: "Wisconsin Political Speech Raid/Subpoenas hit allies of Scott Walker as his re-election campaign looms." Now, people can stop posting that link in the comments threads and emailing me about it. It's nice to see the WSJ get involved, but from my perspective out here in Wisconsin, the John Doe investigation became tedious long ago. I do see that there are some new subpoenas. Noted.

Anyway, Walker's book "Unintimidated" is now available, beginning today. Subtitle: "A Governor's Story and a Nation's Challenge."

Don't confuse it with "Unintimidated," subtitle "Wisconsin Sings Truth to Power," which is a coffee table book of photographs celebrating anti-Walker protesters... at least the ones who put their protests in musical form. At only $31.50, it makes a great Christmas gift for the right person.

18 comments:

Michael K said...

"At only $31.50, it makes a great Christmas gift for the right person. "
You mean left person.

I don't know who the Republican nominee will be but I doubt it will be Christie. His speech at the 2012 GOP convention was enough to turn me off. He did not say one word about Romney, the nominee. It was all me, me, me.

I don't think I'm the only one who noticed.

Don't count Cruz out. When 150 million people have lost their health insurance, strange things may happen. Personally, I am not much in favor of Senators as candidates.

Lyssa said...

Whoever the R nominee is, I hope that it winds up being a governor, not a congress person. We need a leader and manager, not a person who makes good speeches.

Regarding Walker's (assumed) candidacy, someone in the comments to the Dickerson article mentioned video of capital police abusing protesters as a source of problems for Walker's run. Now, everyone who followed Althouse at the time knows what kinds of people the protesters were, but videos can be selectively edited in quite damning ways, and we know that they will be if the left/media thinks that they can score points against Walker with them. It definitely raised my concerns that this could hurt Walker.

MadisonMan said...

Walker's candidacy will be great for the MSM re-finding their view that Freedom of Speech is very important in this great Country. And there is plenty of ammunition to *suggest* that Walker doesn't do enough to support it.

Brennan said...

John Dickerson doesn't know jack squat about politics of the Republican party. Mr. Dickerson is as reliable healthcare.gov.

madAsHell said...

The article has no merit. It's all about shaping the battlefield.

Original Mike said...

No, John Dickerson at Slate. I like Chris Christie, but he is not my candidate. I like Scott Walker, but he is also not my candidate.

Paul said...

Christie is a RINO.

He stinks.

I'd vote for Hillary before I'd vote for him cause I know the devil that is Hillary.

Original Mike said...

My problem with Christie (who I would vote for if he's the candidate; I'm not stupid) is his histrionics over the pork-laden Sandy relief bill.

cubanbob said...

Speaking of the forceful machinery of Walker opposition, the Wall Street Journal had this the other day: "Wisconsin Political Speech Raid/Subpoenas hit allies of Scott Walker as his re-election campaign looms." Now, people can stop posting that link in the comments threads and emailing me about it. It's nice to see the WSJ get involved, but from my perspective out here in Wisconsin, the John Doe investigation became tedious long ago. I do see that there are some new subpoenas. Noted."

Perhaps this should be a basis for a topic on why prosecutors should be striped of qualified immunity.

Back on topic, will Walker run? Who knows? Considering how screwed up the country has become under Ivy League management and skillful orators and bullshiters, a quiet, low key, non-pretentious, humbly educating and above all tough and competent candidate will be most welcome.

Tyrone Slothrop said...

The trend I smell is that the MSM and JournoListers are trying to present Chris Christie as a done deal. If they can nominate him like they nominated McCain, Hillary's got it in the bag. As Rush says frequently, when voters are presented with a choice between a Democrat and a Democrat-lite, they tend to vote for the real thing.

richardsson said...

Ah yes, shades of President Nelson Rockefeller who I remember so well, and of President Rudy Guliani. And how about Michael Bloomberg as a dark horse. The media always does a bang up job of predicting the Republican nominee.

clint said...

Interesting common theme between Christie and Walker -- they're both prominently anti-union.

Could this be about solidifying organized labor behind the Dems, as battlefield prep for 2014? (It seems insanely early to be talking about 2016, even given Obama's implosion.)

Michael K said...

"I'd vote for Hillary before I'd vote for him cause I know the devil that is Hillary."

That's a significant part of how we got Obama II. The perfect is often the enemy of the good.

Hillary would make Obama look competent and empathetic.

Wince said...

Pretty soon Cruz will look like Nostradamus and Paul Revere wrapped into one.

The Godfather said...

The media will support Christie until the very moment he's nominated by the Republican Convention, and then they'll "pivot" to attacking him and supporting whoever the Democrats nominate.

I don't know at this point whether the strongest Republican candidate in 2016 would be Christie, or Walker, or Cruz, or Perry, or Ryan, or Palin, or Paul, or whoever. What I do know is that those pundits who say the Republicans should nominate X because he/she is popular with the press, are wrong and following those pied pipers will lead only to disaster.

jeff said...

I like Christie. As the governor of New Jersey. Not as president. Nuance, Dickerson.

Oso Negro said...

Nope. Not going for anymore Republican candidates anointed by the progressive press. I'm a Ted Cruz man, and I hope that once he is President he drives the Democrat vermin from the Federal workforce, slashes the budget, drives illegals back across the border, and generally creates so much mayhem among the establishment that Hollywood is making weepy movies about it 50 years from now.

Wilbur said...

If you like your candidate, you can keep your candidate.