May 14, 2015

"David Hockney has a fag in one hand, a mug of tea in the other, fish and chips and mushy peas in front of him, and he is surrounded by his own work."

"... Hockney is such a militant smoker you sense he sparks up even when he doesn’t fancy one, just to piss people off. His father, Kenneth, was just as militant in his non-smoking. 'I have now outlived him. I am nearly 78.” He puffs and grins.... He waves his cigarette at me. 'Do you smoke?' he asks, as if challenging me to a duel. I find myself apologising for having stopped, and he looks at me with a disappointment bordering on contempt – though he seems slightly pacified when I ask for a whisky. 'Bohemia was against the suburbs, and now the suburbs have taken over,' he says. 'I mean, the anti-smoking thing is all anti-bohemia. Bohemia is gone now. When people say, well wasn’t it amazing saying you were gay in 1960, I point out, well, I lived in bohemia, and bohemia is a tolerant place. You can’t have a smoke-free bohemia. You can’t have a drug-free bohemia. You can’t have a drink-free bohemia. Now they’re all worried about their fucking curtains, sniffing curtains for tobacco and stuff like that.' Does he think gay life has become more conservative in recent years? 'Yes. I suppose it’s that they want to be ordinary – they want to fit in. Well, I didn’t care about that. I didn’t care about fitting in. Everywhere is so conservative.'"

A tiny snippet of "David Hockney: ‘'Just because I’m cheeky, doesn’t mean I’m not serious'/At 77, and with two new exhibitions, David Hockney is more prolific and outspoken than ever. He tells us why he stopped painting after the death of his assistant – and why, despite a 9pm bedtime, he’s still a rebel at heart."

15 comments:

mccullough said...

Old man

harrogate said...

He sounds like an interesting dude for sure

Etienne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
tim maguire said...

I don't know how many years ago I gave up smoking, but the only time I get an urge to light up is when I see a no smoking sign or hear some health NAZI go on about the evils of not living the cleanest life possible.

rhhardin said...

Hockney is such a militant smoker you sense he sparks up even when he doesn’t fancy one, just to piss people off.

No antecedent for "one."

He puffs and grins.... He waves his cigarette at me. 'Do you smoke?' he asks, as if challenging me to a duel. I find myself apologising for having stopped, and he looks at me with a disappointment bordering on contempt – though he seems slightly pacified when I ask for a whisky.

That's the present tense affectation.

Dream-writing.

Etienne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
SGT Ted said...

The anti-tobacco folk are the progressives, not conservatives.

SGT Ted said...

The word he is looking for is "conformist", which is the stock in trade of progressivism.

buwaya said...

I am tempted to take up smoking, never having smoked, just to annoy people.

Ann Althouse said...

"The anti-tobacco folk are the progressives, not conservatives."

It's conservative to be against smoking. It's progressive to do something about it. Values and actions.

He rejects the values.

Ann Althouse said...

And, yes, I intend for you to infer that those who want to restrict smoking are both progressive and conservative... which is the fascist trend.

Kyzer SoSay said...

Conservatives want to restrict smoking?

rhhardin said...

Carol Brunette flashed Tim Conway to see if she could break him up, in one of the great outtakes. I no longer have a link.

Ann Althouse said...

"Carol Brunette..."

So she was brunette? You've heard from Conway?

Etienne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.