June 29, 2017

"I’m usually not afraid to make myself look bad."

"Somebody came up to me recently and said — I wrote it down exactly because I’d never heard anybody say it, and I wasn’t hurt when she said it, I just thought, Oh, that’s interesting — 'I think part of your charm is that you’re kind of a [expletive]. You’re not a complete [expletive], but you’re kind of one.' I think you would take that stuff out if you were that concerned with your image, but when you leave it in, then most people will think, Oh — he’s like me."

From the "condensed and edited" interview David Sedaris did with the NYT Magazine interviewer Ana Marie Cox.

Sedaris is promoting the book that I've already read (non-consecutively) at least twice: "Theft by Finding: Diaries (1977-2002)."

ADDED: Doing the tags for this post, I was assuming the deleted expletive was "asshole," but I see the article "a," so I'm going to assume it's "shit."

17 comments:

AlbertAnonymous said...

I read it as "dick" though I suppose "douche" works as well.

Dan Farmer said...

"fuck-up" works well, too.

Sam L. said...

Sedaris has never attracted my interest. He's just not my kind of writer.

Gahrie said...

My first thought was the "c word"..that which must not be said.

Lucien said...

I would go with "goat felcher" -- so much more sophisticated.

Henry said...

bitch

tcrosse said...

To be really nasty, Hillbilly or Trumpski. Feel free to delete.

Henry said...

"pestilent, traitorous, cow-hearted, yeasty codpiece"

MayBee said...

Dan Farmer- that was my guess, too.

Mary Beth said...

Do people know you well from your published, public writing? I just give the illusion of exposing myself. I mean, you have no evidence that I have ever sat on a toilet. I haven’t given everything away.

But we know about Stadium Pal.

Ralph L said...

Either my reading comprehension has gone to hell, or that paragraph was a mess.

J2 said...

a "dick".

jv said...

It's surprising to me that a magazine would still censor "bad words" enough to actually make the meaning unclear. If they really don't want us to read those letters, take the whole exchange out.

Fen said...

Is she the Anal Girl?

I've seen her make the rounds on cable. It's sad - she's smart but can't think for herself, just sharpens her indoctrination. She needs to read some conservative writers. Until then, waste of a good mind.

Jeff Boulier said...

Early in her career, Cox was possibly fired when she started running with the story that historian (or rather pseudo-historian) Michael Bellesiles had faked most of the evidence in his book, "Arming America".

"Suddenly, Cox called me crying, saying she had been fired and taken off the story for the rest of her time there. Although she said that the`stated reason was that they were unhappy with a previous story, I suspect that she didn't actually believe this, nor would that have necessitated removing her from the Bellesiles story before she left the Chronicle. I strongly suspected that Cox was fired because she was getting too close to writing the truth about Bellesiles."

A familiar name also shows up at the link.

http://volokh.com/archives/archive_2005_04_03-2005_04_09.shtml#1112856783

Greg said...

Fen, yes pretty sure she is the anal girl, which is the only reason anyone knows she exists. She blogged about doing anal. I guess once you become known for that the skies the limit.

F said...

shithead