October 29, 2004

A few things about movies.

"Ray" is still getting a lot of good reviews, but it's not "100% Fresh" at Rotten Tomatoes anymore. I don't have to read many reviews to absorb the basic message: Jamie Foxx is great, Ray Charles was great, but biopics are a drag.

I see "Finding Neverland" seems to be drawing good reviews. I'm glad. Johnny Depp and Kate Winslet are extremely popular in my household.

Three new DVDs arrived in the mail yesterday: "Purple Rain," "Coffee and Cigarettes," and "Super Size Me." I put "Super Size Me" in the DVD player, not because it's the one I'm most interested in, but because I was planning to listen to it from the next room while taking a bath and then watch part of it until I fell asleep, and it seemed to be especially susceptible to that abusive treatment. I noticed that "Super Size Me" -- which turns into a big attack on McDonald's -- starts with a line like "When I was a kid, my mother cooked dinner for the family every night." So the real culprit here is not McDonald's, but all of us non-June-Cleaver mothers. But you can't make a movie against us, so better to switch to a corporate scapegoat.

No comments: