September 28, 2006

"Space smells like a 'burned almond cookie.'"

Space blogger.
One night, [Anousheh Ansari] discovered her toes were bruised from gripping bars along the walls of the space station. She informed readers that she uses her big toe to hold herself in one place....
That's a news story about the blog. Here's the blog. Excerpt:
I looked out the window a lot and thought to myself, “I don’t know when I will see this view again.” I tried to play some of my favorite songs. This morning at breakfast I played “Only if you want to” by Enya. It energized me. Throughout the day I kept whistling “Somewhere over the Rainbow” and “My Favorite Things.”

I tried to focus on the positives… Tomorrow I will see my Husband after a long time… I miss him so much. It has been a hard six months for both of us… He is my soul mate. We had been inseparable up until this trip… He has been trying to be the strong tough guy who is the anchor of my life… but I know inside he has been burning up....

My trip is coming to an end but my dreams have just started....

Live long, prosper and be happy my friends…

3 comments:

Palladian said...

Interesting! I was thrown for a minute, because A. Space would have no smell, at least not one that the human nose could detect and B. If it did have a smell, you wouldn't be able to breathe in enough to get a whiff of it and C. You'd be dead if you had unimpeded nasal access to it for more than a few seconds.

But then I realized that they were referring to the smell inside the lab, which must be from some fuel process or equipment or something. Anyway, lucky her! I'd love to go.

Balfegor said...

Live long, prosper and be happy my friends…

Ah, this is reassuringly geeky. Not quite as geeky as Enomoto was going to be, though. He was going to go up dressed as Char Aznable. Hahaha.

Unknown said...

Lovely! I hope the Iranian people get some joy out of this, too.